Wednesday, November 15, 2006

HELLO... Farewell...

This morning I had the sad and daunting task of putting one of my cats to sleep.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, or Wolfie, as we affectionately called him, was a birthday gift from my ex-husband before we were married more than 16 years ago. My ex and I often joked that Wolfie lasted longer than our marriage.

The passing of a beloved pet is never easy. After all, this furry creature, despite his non-human form, was as much a part of our family as any other member.

As I reflected on Wolfie’s 16 years with me, I found comfort in the many enchanting memories he left behind.

He was sweet and loving beyond my expectations. He lived in six homes and four states. He traveled cross-country with his late brother, Schubert, in 1995. He had a Woody Allen persona but could catch a mouse like a pro. His favorite cat food was Fancy Feast, and he adored tummy rubs. During his final year, he spent his days perched atop my desk, fascinated by the keyboard and the cursor moving across my computer screen.

But perhaps Wolfie’s most memorable characteristic was his nightly patrol of the hallway.

Every evening, without fail, he would skulk up and down the hall of our home, meowing a sound that came out remarkably like “Hello.”

This scared the daylights out of unsuspecting overnight guests, and I would have to explain that no, there wasn’t a mysterious stranger wandering the house. It was just Wolfie, making his nightly rounds.

Last night, Wolfie roamed the hallway one final time, conducting his last aria of “Hellos.”

I listened differently this time.

My heart broke as I realized that within a matter of hours, the two of us would be saying our own final farewell.

When morning came, my heart was heavy with what I knew lay ahead. At the vet’s office, I made the decision to stay with Wolfie until the end. It was the only choice that felt right. This was his deepest hour of need, and I couldn’t abandon him simply to spare myself the pain of witnessing his final moments.

Much to my surprise, and enormous comfort, he purred until the very end.

The moment he was gone, grief struck at the very core of me. But almost as quickly, I found comfort in knowing that Wolfie had lived a full, carefree and wonderful life. The pain he had endured during the past several months was gone.

He was finally at peace.

When I returned home carrying an empty cat carrier but a heart filled with 16 years of precious memories, I took a quiet moment to grieve.

As I sat there, my remaining pets, one dog and three cats, began to gather around me. One by one, they drew near. It was almost as though we were collectively mourning the loss of one of our own. There was an unspoken sadness among us, but also a quiet consoling.

It was incredibly touching.

So farewell, my furry friend.

Thank you for 16 years of friendship, silly moments, love, loyalty and undeniable sweetness. Thank you for traveling through six homes, four states and so many chapters of my life with me. Thank you for keeping watch over our hallways and for making us laugh with your nightly “Hellos.”

I imagine the house will feel a little too quiet tonight.

And somewhere in that quiet, I know I’ll be listening for you.

Goodnight, Wolfie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LoriAnn,

I know quite well how sad the passing of a pet can be. I'm happy that you decided to stay with "Wolfie" until the end and I'm certain that it was of great comfort to him.