
This afternoon marked the end of the school year for my son and his beloved schoolmates. At 12:00 p.m. PST, to be exact.
The excitement in the schoolyard was palpable. Teachers hugging their students goodbye. Parents thanking teachers for a year of amazing work with their sons and daughters. The school’s director wishing everyone a wonderful summer. I was touched by the genuine affection in every exchange.
For my son, this past year has been one of transitions. Transitions I wasn’t quite prepared for. Transitions that taught us both some very important life lessons.
My son and I spent some time reflecting on the past year. We talked about what we learned. What we enjoyed. What surprised us. And what we’re looking forward to.
Here’s what we came up with.
Stephen:
- I learned about the California Gold Rush and that earning my allowance is far easier than panning for gold.
- I learned about the great explorer and environmentalist John Muir, and how we all need to do our part in preserving our planet.
- I learned about sex education and that my body is an amazing creation. (Which, by the way, garnered some very interesting dinnertime conversations.)
- I learned to appreciate the convenience of my own bathroom after a rustic, primitive camping trip in the Los Angeles Forest. Running water and flushing toilets RULE!
- I learned how to do algebra, but that I appreciate geometry more. (I’m just thrilled I still had enough brain cells to help him with his math homework this year.)
- I learned about the complexities of friendship and positive conflict resolution.
- I learned that it was John Kerry who ran against President Bush, and not Jim Carrey. But oh, what fun that would have been.
- I learned that I like to dance.
- I learned, after a recent field trip to Alcatraz, that having a time-out isn’t so bad. Twenty minutes is way better than twenty years to life.
- I learned that organic foods are good for you.
- I learned that I’ve outgrown my size 8 underwear. (Note to self: Get to Target and buy new underwear.)
- I learned that my friends totally ROCK!
Mommy:
- I’ve learned that raising a man is a wonderful responsibility, and one that should not be taken lightly.
- I’ve learned how much I love our family time in the evenings.
- I’ve learned not to feel guilty when I’m beyond exhausted and can’t read a bedtime story.
- I’ve learned that my son has an amazing sense of humor.
- I’ve learned that I still hate algebra.
- I’ve learned that my son loves to dance.
- I’ve learned how to console my son when he’s been deeply hurt or disappointed by his friends.
- I’ve learned that I hurt just as deeply when he hurts.
- I’ve learned that my son can hold up to 30 pounds in his backpack before he topples over, arms flailing.
- I’ve learned that the snuggly, cuddly, lovable, affectionate young boy who still crawls onto my lap isn’t going to last forever, and that I need to hold close every moment he does.
- I’m learning to let go of the little boy and embrace the young man. This is a tough one, but I’m evolving.
As I put my son to bed this evening, I was struck by the realization that he woke up this morning a fourth grader, but tonight he is going to bed a fifth grader.
Another milestone reached.
Next year will hold new adventures, more milestones, triumphs, disappointments, laughter and lessons yet to be learned.
But those can wait.
For tonight, I’ll tuck in my little man, hold him close for as long as he’ll let me, and whisper my prayers of gratitude.
Gratitude for the little boy he has been and for all the joy those years have held.
And gratitude for the young man he is becoming, and for all the joy that is yet to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment