Friday, September 15, 2006

Oliver With A Twist

Last weekend my son and I found a two week-old baby squirrel in our front yard. Our cat, Chloe, was curled up around him trying to tend to and protect him. At first we thought she had caught the squirrel as her prey and was proudly presenting him to us. Interestingly enough, this was not the case. Chloe, like us, was concerned about our new baby friend and wanted to ensure his safety. It was quite sweet watching her be so protective and maternal.

After several calls to known animal groups and researching the care of baby squirrels on the internet, my son and I placed our new house guest in a deep, open box with towels and a few almonds. The poor little creature was terrified out of his mind, but after a few hours of allowing him to acclimate to his state of the art cardbox box house, he became a little more trusting of us. We were instructed to feed him (oh, yes, it's a boy and a proud one at that) a puppy formula called Esbilac. It's been the cutest thing watching him nurse from the bottle and then wash his little face afterward. I broke down and bought him a moderate cage and some fun treats. We also decided to name him Oliver Twist, given he was technically an orphan. He's been a delight to care for this past week. According to our sources, when Oliver is about eight weeks old, we can release him back into the wild. "The Wild" being our lovely suburban street with high end homes and an ample supply of gorgeous trees to run up and down. Poor little guy.

We're enjoying our temporary house guest. He's been an absolute delight and I can now add caring for a squirrel to my list of accomplishments.

4 comments:

Paperback Writer said...

That is the cutest thing ever.

Thanks for stopping by! Glad to be of some help to you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Lovely blog my dear. I enjoyed it immensely. If you have that book I would love to read it some day. (The Alchemist) Keep up the good work. Love Mom

But you were always my bestist Daughter. Love and Kisses

Anonymous said...

Good blog kiddo. My first reaction was all those parents of Service men lost in the war. They too could reconnect in the same way and what a comfort that would be.
Keep up the good work.
Love you,
Mom